The night of January 18th marked a turning point in the school's history. Mrs. Emmet awoke at 1am to the smell of smoke and the word "Fire!" being shouted. It was a cold and icy night, and the fire trucks got stuck on the school's steep driveway. When word reached the top of the Hill that the fire trucks were stuck, HMS alumnus and faculty member Bob PITTMAN '44 got in a tractor and drove it through section of barn that connected the rest of the school to the burning farmhouses. His efforts saved the rest of the school.
No one was hurt, but several of the 1763 buildings burned to the ground. Most of Mrs. Emmet's possessions were destroyed, including all of the Christmas Books, a book made by the students for Mrs. Emmet every year at Christmas. This loss Mrs. Emmet found to be particularly devastating. But a few valuables were saved from Mrs. Emmet' house, including a stone lamb that was present at every Sunday Chapel. To this day that lamb sits on the mantle of the Beulah Emmet Alumni house.
Today, the chapel retains its name and its original function of a space dedicated to students' gatherings around inspirational themes. The chapel building is used for music practice, small gatherings, and a place of quiet retreat from the bustle of campus. In honor of our founder, the gathering of students on a few Sunday evenings each year continues to be referred to as 'Chapel'.